Never has a Pope, in a book-length interview, dealt so directly with such wide-ranging and controversial issues as is done in Light of the World. Taken from a recent weeklong series of interviews with veteran journalist Peter Seewald, this book tackles head-on some of the greatest issues facing the world of in our time. Seewald poses such forthright questions to Pope Benedict as:
- What caused the clergy sexual abuse in the Catholic Church?
- Was there a “cover up”?
- Does affirming the goodness of the human body mean a plea for “better sex”?
- Can there be a genuine dialogue with Islam?
- Should the Church rethink Catholic teaching on priestly celibacy, women priests, contraception, and same-sex relationships?
- Is there a schism in the Catholic Church?
- Is Christianity the only truth?
- Can the Pope really speak for Jesus Christ?
- How can the Pope claim to be “infallible”?
- Is there a “dictatorship of relativism” today?